What is Blackboard Outcomes
Outcomes Assessment System (screenshot)
The Outcomes Assessment System is accessed in Blackboard Learn by clicking on the Outcomes Assessment tab. There you will see the individual Evidence Collection projects listed.
IMPORTANT NOTE: the Outcomes Assessment tab will only be available to departmental representatives that have contacted Alana Malik and have received prior approval to use the system.
Overview of the Outcomes Assessment Process
The Outcomes Assessment Process allows for the gathering of student assignment artifacts previously submitted to the course section into a collection, sample the artifacts into a statistically correct size if desired, and distribute the sampled artifacts to evaluators for external rubric evaluation.
In its most simplified form, the Outcomes Assessment Process consists of 5 basic steps:
- Create an Assignment and Rubric - The first step in the Outcomes Assessment Process is to create an Assignment in your Blackboard Course site and Align that Assignment with your desired goals or outcomes. You can also create one or more rubrics to be used in evaluating the goals or desired outcomes of the assignment.
- Create an Evidence Collection - The next step is to create an Evidence Collection or Project that can be used to collect all the relevant assignment submissions (artifacts) within a particular Blackboard course or set of courses.
- Sample a Collection - Once an Evidence Collection has been started, you then need to decide how the student artifacts (assignments) will be sampled--you can choose to use either all the artifacts in the collection or just a specified random sampling.
- Evaluate an Evidence Set - The next step is to assign evaluators who will use the rubric that was attached to the assignment to evaluate how well the aligned goals were met.
- Analyze the Results - The last step is to run an analysis of the evaluations and to generate a report that summarizes how well each of the aligned goals was met.