Start Breakout Groups
Breakout Groups allows as session leader to split session participants into small groups for activities such as discussion, brainstorming, or problem solving. This guide will demonstrate how to start Breakout Groups.
Accessing the Collaborate Panel
To set up breakout rooms, you will need to open the Collaborate Panel. To open the Collaborate Panel, click on the purple button in the bottom right corner.
Setting up Breakout Groups
- In the Collaborate Panel, click on the Share Content tab.
- Select Breakout Groups from the menu.
There are two methods of assigning participants to groups: Random assignment and manual assignment.
Randomly Assigning Participants to Groups
To randomly assign participants to groups:
- Assign Groups: Select the Randomly Assign option from the dropdown menu. To include moderators, check the option labeled Include moderators in group assignment.
- Number of Groups: Use the dropdown menu to select the number of groups to create.
- Allow participants to switch groups: Select this option to allow participants to change groups.
- Shuffle Participants: Check this option to change the random group assignment.
- Group assignments will appear here. To rename a group, click on the group name. To reassign participants, drag the participant you wish to reassign between groups.
- To start Breakout Groups, click the Start button.
Manually Assigning Participants
To manually assign participants to groups:
- Assign Groups: Select the Custom Assignment button.
- Allow participants to switch groups: Select this option to permit students to change their enrolled group.
- Main Room: Participants in the main room will be listed here. Click Show All to view all participants.
- Groups: Drag participants from the main room to the desired group. Click on the group name to rename the group.
- Add group: Click the + sign to add additional groups.
- Delete group: Click on the trash can icon to delete the group.
- When finished, click the Start button to start the breakout rooms.