Importing and Publishing a Test or Survey Using Respondus
Respondus allows instructors to author or import tests and surveys from Word documents in Blackboard. Using Respondus is a more efficient method than manually building tests and surveys within Blackboard. This guide will demonstrate how to import a Word document into Respondus, and use Respondus to publish your test to Blackboard
- Select the type of file you wish to import. (e.g. .doc or .docx)
- Click Browse to locate the file you wish to import on your computer
- Select Create a new document, and enter a filename in the space to the right
- Select to import your document as an exam or survey file. (survey files will ignore correct answer designations)
- Check the box here to use question stem numberings (e.g. ch1-) and enter the stem in the space to the right.
- Click Preview. Respondus will import the question, and the questions and any import errors will appear at the bottom. (if you do not use question stems, you may get the following error message: The following questions contain the same question title. This error message can be ignored)
- When the questions have been imported, click Finish to continue setting up the test.
Once you have imported your questions, you can now use the Edit feature to add additional questions or make changes to existing questions. If you do not wish to make any changes, continue onto the next step. For more information on editing questions in Respondus, please refer to the guide on editing questions.
Adding Test Settings
Respondus allows instructors to select which test settings they wish to add to the test. If you do not wish to add question sets or you prefer to change the settings within Blackboard, you may proceed to the next step. More detailed information is available in "Setting up Question Sets in Respondus" and in "Setting up Test Settings in Respondus."
- Click on Random Blocks to set up question sets within the test
- Click on Availability to change the availability dates and times of the test
- Click on Other Settings to change how the test appears to students.
Previewing the Test, Part 1
Previewing the Test, Part 2
You will now see how the question would appear to students online. You are able to view the question text, the answer choices, the correct answers and feedback.
- Use the Previous and Next buttons to move between questions, or click the Go To button to go to a specific question.
- Click Modify Item to edit the item and make changes.
- When you are finished, click Close to exit the preview.
Publishing to Blackboard, Part 1
Publishing to Blackboard, Part 2
Publishing to Blackboard, Part 3
- Select the course you wish to publish the exam to
- To publish the test as an exam in Blackboard select the Create New Exam option
- To publish the questions as a pool in Blackboard to reuse questions later, choose Create New Pool
- Leave the options checked by default
- When finished, select the Next button at the bottom.