Course News Page
The Course News page in Blackboard is the default "landing" page that you will see on first entering your course site. You can think of the Course News page as a dashboard for your course--it can give you a quick overview of things that have changed since you last entered your course, due dates, for Tests and Assessments, and even a to-do list that you can use to keep track of course assignments.
Course News Page Modules
The Course News page is comprised of modules which are pre-selected by your instructor when the course when designing the course site. The default modules are shown above: My Announcements, What's New and To Do.
- My Announcements is an area that can be used by your instructor to post important information or reminders about your course. For example your instructor could remind you that an upcoming class has been cancelled, or she could post an reminder to post to a discussion group, etc.
- What's New is a list of things that have changed since the last time you entered this course site. For example, you'll be notified of any unread postings to a discussion group or new content that's been added to the course site.
- To Do is a listing of both past and future due dates for assignments and assessments for your course.
It's important to remember that the actual Course News page for your course may look different than the one above--your instructor may choose to add or delete the individual models that appear on this page. Also, your instructor may have chosen a different course entry page--so this may not be the first page that you see when you open the course. Finally, it's possible that your instructor may have decided to hide this page from your view--although most instructors will use this page as the entry point for their course.
Modifying the Module Settings
Some of the modules on the Course News page have settings that you can modify. For example, the To Do module has two settings:
- Edit Notification Settings - clicking on this button take you to an Edit Notification Settings screen where you can edit the setting for each of the individual courses that you are currently enrolled in (Edit Individual Course Settings) or you can edit the notification setting for all your courses at once (Bulk Edit Notification Settings). For more information, set the steps listed below under Editing the Notification Settings.
- Actions - clicking the Actions button allows you to Expand, Collapse, Dismiss, or Refresh you notifications.
Editing the Notification Settings
Editing the Notification Settings allows you to decide:
- Which types of notification appear on in your Notification module
- Which notifications will generate an email message
When you click on the Edit Notification Settings in the previous step, you are taken to an Edit Notification Settings screen where you can:
- Edit Individual Course Settings - Displays the current notification settings for courses in which a user is enrolled. Changes to the notification settings for a specific course can be made.
- Bulk Edit Notification Settings - Select a set of courses or organizations to update and change the notification settings for them in one step.
- Edit Individual Organization Settings - if you are a member of an organization that uses Blackboard for communications, click one of the available links displays the current notification settings for organizations in which a user is enrolled. Changes to the notification settings for a specific organization can be made.