Editing & Deleting Collaborate Ultra Sessions
This guide will demonstrate how to edit or delete Collaborate Ultra sessions.
Entering the Collaborate Ultra Portal
Entering the Collaborate Ultra Portal within your course site depends on where you created a link to it - either in 1) the Course Menu or 2) a Content Area.
1) If you have created a Collaborate Ultra tool link in your Course Menu, you can click on this directly to launch the application.
2) If you have created a Collaborate Ultra link within a Content Area, first click the name of the Content Area in the Course Menu, and then click the Collaborate Ultra link in the Content Area.
If you have not yet created a Collaborate Ultra link in either the Course Menu or a Content Area, then please refer to the Enabling Collaborate Ultra in Your Blackboard Course guide.
Once you have clicked on the Collaborate Ultra link in either the Course Menu or in a Content Area, you should see the Blackboard Collaborate Ultra screen shown below.
Selecting a Session to Edit or Delete
You will now see a list of available Collaborate Ultra sessions. To edit or delete a session:
- Locate the session you wish to to edit or delete and click the menu button to the right of the session.
- Select Edit Settings to edit the session information.
- Select Delete Session to delete the session. A dialog box will then pop up asking you if you want to confirm deleting the session.
After selecting Edit, you will be taken to the Event Details tab. Enter the title that you would like for the session.
Anonymous Dial in and Guest Access
- The information for anonymous dial in will appear here.
After entering the session title, you can set up Guest Access for the session:
- Check the checkbox to enable guest access.
- Use the dropdown menu to select the default role for guests (the role that individuals would have when they enter the session). The available roles are Participant, Moderator and Presenter. For more information about these various roles, please see the Session Roles guide.
- Click the Copy button to the right of the Guest Link URL to copy the URL to the clipboard.
- Select a start/end date/time for the session.
- If you would like to create a session that is open 24/7 the entire semester, check the box for No End (Open Session).
- You may select Repeat Session if you would like to create multiple weekly sessions at once, rather than create them individually.
- Select how many minutes prior to the start of session that participants are allowed to enter.
- Optional: You may enter a description of the session that will appear in Blackboard for students.
- Click the Settings tab at the top to modify session settings.
- Default Participant Role: Select the default role you want participants to have upon entering the session.
- Recordings: Check the Allow Recording Downloads box if you want students to be able to download recordings from Blackboard to their devices. If this box is not checked, students will be able to stream any recordings that are available. To anonymize student names in the chat, check the box labeled Anonymize Chat Recordings. This option is recommended for FERPA compliance, especially if you are sharing the recordings outside of the classroom or reusing recordings from previous semesters.
- Moderator Permissions: Checking this box prevents participants from seeing each other's profile pictures.
- The Participants Can category is where you can enable/disable permissions that participants have. These can also be altered within the session itself. The options include share their audio, share their video, post chat messages, and draw on whiteboard and files.
- Enable Session Telephony: By default, this box is checked, allowing participants to use their telephones to connect to the session's audio. Because using the telephone is an alternative for participants whose computer speakers and microphone are not working, we recommend keeping this option selected.
- Private Chat: This section contains options related to the use of private chats in a session (chats sent to individual users in the session). If you do not want students to chat with each other, and only be able to chat with session moderators, check the option labeled Participants can only chat privately with moderators. If you want to monitor private chats, check the option labeled Moderators supervise all private chats.
- Large Scale Session: Check this box to allow more than 250 participants in the session.
- Profanity Filter: Check the checkbox to turn on the profanity filter for chat messages.
Save the Session
Once all options have been set, click the Save button at the bottom of the panel.
Session Attendance Reporting
To enable automatic session grading for the session:
- Click on the Attendance Reporting button to set up attendance reporting for the session
- Share Attendance with LMS: Check this button to enable attendance reporting for the session.
- Late After: Enter the number of minutes after which students would be marked as Late
- Absent After: Enter the number of minutes after which students are marked as Absent
- Required Time in Session: Enter the percentage of the session students must attend in order to avoid being counted Absent.
In order to use the attendance reporting feature, an end date must be specified in the session parameters.
If you are receiving errors about not being able to connect to Collaborate, please go to http://status.blackboard.com and check on the status for Collaborate - Web Conferencing (US Hosted). This will let you know if Blackboard is having issues with Collaborate Ultra.