Creating and Downloading a Course Archive
This article will demonstrate how to create an Archive copy of your course site. Archive Course creates a permanent record of all course content available at the time the Archive is created. An Archived copy of your course site can be used to restore your site to a prior state or it can be used to copy your course to another site.
It is recommended that you make an Archive copy of your course just prior to making any major changes--especially if it involves deleting content or student information that cannot be easily reentered.
It should be noted, however, that automatic backup are made of the current semester's course sites on a nightly basis and that all courses are archived at the end of each semester.
Note: If you need to restore a site with user interactions. grades, and submissions, please place your request at firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 1 - Choose Export/Archive from the Control Panel
Log into the Blackboard course you wish to create an archive of and go to the Control Panel. Select Packages and Utilities and click on Export/Archive Course.
Step 2 - Choose Archive
Near the top of the Export/Archive Course screen, click the Archive Course button.
Step 3 - Select your Archive Course Options
To make as complete an Archive as possible, follow these steps:
- Check the checkbox to Include Grade Center History.
- Click the radio button next to Copy links and include copies of the files in the course default directory.
- Click the radio button next to Copy links and include copies of the files outside of the course default directory.
- Click the Submit button.
Step 4 - Confirmation
You will now receive a confirmation message that the archive process has been queued on the server. The amount of time that it takes for your request to be process can vary considerably depending on server activity--but normally only takes a few minutes.
You can continue to work in your course while your Archive request is being processed.
Step 5 - Downloading the Archive file to your hard drive
Once you have received an email message notifying you that the Archive process has been completed, you can return to the Export/Archive Course screen to download the Archive file.
- Click on Export/Archive Course from the Control Panel as you did in Step 1.
- Click on the name of the Archive file to download the compressed Archive Zip file to the downloads folder on your hard drive. Depending on your operating system (Mac OS or Windows) you may be asked whether to Open or Save the file--choose Save File.
Warning: The compressed (Zip) Archive file can only be used to restore the Archived course to Blackboard. Do not unzip (Open) an Archive package or remove files from the package, otherwise the package will not import correctly.