Creating a Link to an External Site in Blackboard
The instructions below will demonstrate how to create a link to an external website within Blackboard.
Creating a Web Link
Log into Blackboard and access the content area in which you would like to upload your content item to. Please refer to the guide titled Creating a Content Area for more information on how to create a content area. To upload your document:
- Click on Build Content at the top of the page.
- Choose Web Link from the menu that appears.
Setting up the Web Link Information
You will now see a screen labeled Create Web Link. The section labeled Web Link Information allows you to enter the destination web site:
- Name: Enter a name for the link that will be shown to students.
- URL: Enter the desired URL (the website address) for the web link here.
Entering the Link Description
In the section labeled Description, you can use the text editor to enter a description for the link that would be shown to students.
The section labeled Attachments will allow you to attach files to the web link information. Click the Browse Local Files button to upload a file from your computer, or click the Browse Course Files button to upload a file from the course content collection. Alternatively, users can drag and drop files into this area in order to attach files.
Setting the Web Link Options
The section labeled Web Link Options allows you to select whether to open the link in the new window or the same window. The recommended setting is Yes, for opening the link in a new window, as opening the link in the current window can cause issues with displaying content.
Setting Up the Web Link Availability
In the section labeled Standard Options, you can set the visibility of the link to students:
- Permit Users to View this Content: Select Yes to allow students to view the web link.
- Track Number of Views: Select Yes to record the number of times students view the link.
- Select Date and Time Restrictions: Use the date and time pickers for the Display After and Display Until dates to restrict the time period in which students can view the content.
- When finished, click the Submit button to create the web link.