Editing Blog Settings
This lesson will demonstrate how to edit the settings of a course blog.
Accessing the Blog Link
To access the Blogs tool, log into your Blackboard Course and then click on the Blogs link in the course menu
Editing a Blog
You will now see a screen similar to the one above labeled Blogs that lists all the course blogs. To edit a blog's settings, locate the blog you wish to edit from the list of blogs, and click the chevron button next to the name of the blog. A menu will appear on screen. Select Edit from the menu.
Editing the Blog Information
You will now see a screen labeled Edit Blog. The section labeled Blog Information allows you to enter a name and description for the blog assignment.
- Name: Type in a name for the blog here.
- Description: In the text editor, type a description and instructions for your students for the blog assignment.
Setting up the Blog Availability
Blog Availability allows instructors to make the blog visible to students. Select Yes to permit students to view the Blog.
Setting up the Blog Time and Date Restrictions
Blog Time and Date Restrictions allows instructors to limit the availability of the blog to a specific time period. To restrict the blog availability, use the date and time selectors to select a Display After and Display Until date.
Setting up the Blog Participation Options
Section 4: Blog Participation allows instructors to determine how students interact with others using the blog.
- Blog Type: Once students have posted blog entries, the blog type cannot be changed.
- Allow Anonymous Comments: Selecting this option allows students to leave anonymous comments on users' blogs. It is recommended to turn this feature off.
Setting up the Blog Settings
Blog Settings allows instructors to modify the indexing of blog entries and modify user permissions for editing and deleting content:
- Index Entries: This option allows users to change how the entries are organized. Select Monthly to organize blog entries on a monthly basis or select Weekly to organize blogs on a weekly basis.
- Allow Users To Edit and Delete Entries: Check the checkbox for this option to allow students to edit and delete their blog entries. It is recommended to disable this option.
- Allow Users To Edit and Delete Comments: Check the checkbox for this option to allow students to edit and delete their posted comments. It is recommended to disable this option.
Setting up the Blog Grading Settings
Grade Settings allows you to enable grading options for the blog. Enabling Grading Options allows instructors to grade students within Blackboard and this option creates a Grade Center Column that corresponds with the blog.
- Grade Blog: No grading: Select this option to create an ungraded blog.
- Grade Blog: Grade: Points Possible: To grade the blog, select this option and enter the number of points possible. Selecting this option will expand the section below:
- Show participants in "Needs Grading" status (!) after every N entries: Check this option to report students' participation as Needs Grading in the Grade Center after the student has posted a specified number of times.
- Due Date: To enable a due date, use the time and date selectors to select a due date. The due date will then appear in the student's calendar and To Do modules, and items submitted past this date will be marked as Late.
- Associated Rubrics: Click on the Add Rubric button to add a rubric to use for grading the Blog assignment.
- When finished, click the Submit button at the bottom of the page to edit the blog settings.