Viewing a Student's Grade Details
This guide will demonstrate how to view details about a student's test grade.
Accessing the Grade Center
Log into your Blackboard course and go the Control Panel:
- Click on Grade Center.
- Select Full Grade Center.
Accessing a Student's Test Attempt
Within the grade center, locate the student and the column for the test. Hover in the cell that contains the student's attempt, and click on the chevron that appears. Select View Grade Details from the menu that appears. A yellow exclamation (!) point indicates that the student's attempt needs grading. A Needs Grading icon will appear for a student's test attempt under the following conditions:
- The test contains Essay or other question types that require manual grading.
- The student went over the allotted time limit, or the test was auto-submitted when the student ran out of time.
- The test was submitted past the due date.
Viewing the Student's Grade Details
You will now be taken to a screen labeled Grade Details that provides information on the student's score and attempts:
- Current Grade: The student's current grade is shown here, as well as the criteria the grade is based on. If the instructor wants to exempt the grade, they can click the Exempt button to remove the student's grade from calculations.
- Attempts: This tab shows details on the student's attempts.
- Manual Override: This tab allows instructors to manually override the student's grade and enter comments.
- Column Details: This tab provides statistics on the class's overall performance on the assignment.
- Grade History: This tab provides details on any changes made to the student's grade for the current assignment.
Viewing Attempt Details
The Attempts tab provides additional details about the student's attempts made on the test or assignment:
- Date Created: This date shows when the student first made the attempt.
- Date Submitted (or saved): This date shows when the student submitted the item for grading, or when the last time changes were made by either the student or instructor.
- Value: This number is the score the student received on the attempt.
- Feedback to User: Feedback made to the student by the instructor will appear here.
- Grading Notes: Any grading notes made by the instructor will be listed here.
- Grade Attempt: Click this button to view and grade the attempt.
- Clear Attempt: Click this button to clear the student's attempt, allowing the student to make another attempt.
- Ignore Attempt: Ignoring an attempt allows the student to make another attempt, but the student's original attempt is retained.
Overriding the Student's grade
After clicking on the Manual Override tab, instructors can modify the student's assigned grade.
- Override Grade: Enter an override grade for the student's attempt here.
- Comments: Enter comments for the student here.
- Grading Notes: Enter any notes regarding the students attempt can be made here. These notes can only be seen by the instructor.
- When finished, click Save to save the changes made.
Viewing Column Details
Selecting the Column Details tab shows a summary of the average performance on the assessment, such as the average score and median score.
Viewing the Student's Grade History
The Grade History tab shows a list of all grade activities and modifications made.