Adding a Video in Blackboard
This guide will demonstrate how to upload a video within a content item in Blackboard. Note: Maximum course size is 2.45 GB. It is recommended to host larger video files on our streaming media server or in the Echo360 Active Learning Platform. Users can also upload content to video sites such as YouTube or Vimeo and link or embed the video content in Blackboard.
Creating an Item, Part 1
Log into Blackboard and access the content area in which you would like to upload your content item to. Please refer to the guide titled Creating a Content Area for more information on how to create a content area. To upload your document:
- Click on Build Content at the top of the page.
- Choose Item from the menu that appears.
Creating an Item, Part 2
- Name: Enter the name of the document in the space marked Name.
- Color of Name: Select a color to use for the item name.
- Text: Type or paste your text into Blackboard's Text editor. You can then use the formatting toolbars to format the text
- To insert a video into the content item, click on the Insert/Edit Embedded Media button
Uploading a Media File
You will see a screen similar to the one above appear on screen. To upload an audio or video file:
- Type: Select HTML5 Video for video files or HTML5 Audio for audio files. HTML5 offers the most optimal playback across different browsers and devices and HTML5 content can be played without using external plugins.
- File/URL: Click Browse My Computer or Browse Course to upload a media file.
- Dimensions: Enter the dimensions of the media file here. Check the checkbox for Constrain Proportions to maintain the original proportions of the media when resizing.
- A preview of the media item will appear here.
- When finished, click the Insert button to insert the media item in the content editor.