Enabling Respondus Lockdown Browser for a Test
Respondus Lockdown Browser is a special browser that prevents students from copying and pasting text, taking screenshots, or opening other webpages or applications while taking an online test or survey in Blackboard. Additionally, instructors can also use Respondus Monitor to record audio and video of the test taker during the test, allowing instructors to confirm student identity and serve as a greater deterrent to cheating. Students must access tests using the Lockdown Browser, as students will be unable to access the test using a regular browser.
Note: If Lockdown Browser is enabled for the test, DO NOT change the password that appears on the Test Options page. This password is randomly generated when Lockdown Browser is enabled, and removing or modifying the password on the Test Options page will break the Lockdown Browser integration. If you wish to set a password for a test that requires the Lockdown Browser, please read the steps in this guide.
Accessing Course Tools
To enable Lockdown Browser for a test, log into your Blackboard course and go to the Control Panel. Click on Course Tools and select Respondus Lockdown Browser
Selecting a Test
You will now see a screen labeled Respondus Lockdown Browser Dashboard that lists the tests in your Blackboard Course. To enable Respondus Lockdown Browser, click on the button to the left of the test name you wish to enable the Lockdown Browser for (1), and choose Settings (2)
Enabling Respondus Lockdown Browser
- Lockdown Browser Settings: Select "Require Respondus Lockdown Browser for this exam" to enable Lockdown Browser. The screen will expand to provide options for password settings. If you wish to not enter a password, press Save and Close at the bottom.
- Password Settings: If you wish to require a password to access the exam, enter the password in this space.
- Advanced Settings: Click this header to expand this section to show the following options:
- Lock students into the browser until exam is completed: Selecting this option will prevent students from closing the browser. Selecting this option will expand to show an additional option to enter a password to allow students to exit the exam early. With this item unselected, the default behavior is to require students to type a reason for exiting the exam
- Allow students to take this exam with an iPad: Select this option to allow students to take the exam on their iPads using the Lockdown Browser app.
- Allow access to specific external web domains: Select this option to allow students to access approved websites during the exam
- Enable Calculator on the toolbar: Select this option to enable the use of an on-screen calculator
- Enable Printing from the toolbar: Select this option to allow prenting.
- The screen will now expand to ask if you want to monitor the test using a webcam. If you do not want to use a webcam, choose the option labeled "Don't require Respondus Monitor for this exam.
- When you are finished, Click Save and Close.