Evaluating Artifact Samples
Once Evaluators are notified that they have been selected, they can begin to Evaluate the sampled artifacts that they have been assigned to for the Evaluation Project.
How Evaluators are Notified
Evaluators for a collection sample receive notifications of their intended participation via the Updates Area of the Social Learning Tools as well as in an email sent to the Evaluator notifying them they have been selected .
Email Message to Evaluators
Access Evaluator Notification in Blackboard Update Area
As mentioned above, selected Evaluator will also receive a notification in Blackboard.
- To access that notification, an Evaluator would login to Blackboard and then click on the drop-down triangle just to the right of their name and to the immediate left of the logout button.
- Next click on Updates button (clock icon)--this will show the Updates page.
Starting the Evaluation Session
After accessing the Updates Area in Blackboard (clock icon) of the Social Learning Area (top right menu of Blackboard), click the Evaluate button at the end of the Evaluator notification message.
Choose Student Artifact(s) to Evaluate
- First choose the Student Artifacts to evaluate by clicking on the checkboxe(s) to the left of the students' names. (Note that in this case the students' names were specified to be anonymous in the Evaluation setup and have been replaced by the word "Student" followed by a unique ID number.)
- Click the Evaluate button to proceed with the evaluation process--this will take you to the Project Page showing the artifact and the fist student submission.
From the Project Page:
- The artifact itself can be accessed by the evaluator by choosing the Related Files link under Sample Information.
The Artifact will open. If the artifact was submitted as text without an attachment, it will be visible in the Submission Text area.
- The artifact can be evaluated with the rubric inline:
- Choose the Evaluate button--the Rubric is displayed inline showing the criteria and levels of achievement.
Select the Appropriate Levels of Achievement and Provide Feedback for Each Criterion
Alternative Evaluation Method
You can view the Rubric and the student Artifact by opening them in separate windows and arranging them side-by-side.
Click the Artifact link to display it in a separate window.
Click the Page icon to open the Rubric in a separate window.
Arrange the Artifact and Rubric Windows side-by-side (or overlapping depending on your screen size) as shown below.
Artifact and Rubric Windows Displayed Side-by-Side
When a points radio button is selected, a corresponding feedback textbox is displayed. Use the List View link to display the Rubric in the new window as it was display previously.
Click the Save button when the evaluation is complete--the results are submitted and a Summary is displayed as before.
Note: When an assessor leaves the Evaluations and returns, the Evidence Assessment project will display the number of Evaluations completed and the total number of Evaluations. The process is repeated until all Evaluations are completed.