iPad Edition of Respondus LockDown Browser
The iPad Edition of "LockDown Browser" (available from iTunes) enables a student to use an iPad to take exams that require LockDown Browser. However, the instructor must select the appropriate setting for each exam that permits students to use an iPad.
Setting an Exam to Allow use of the iPad Edition of Lockdown Browser
First, login to your online course in Blackboard using your instructor account and then from the Control Panel, select Tools, and then Lockdown Browser--you should now see the Respondus LockDown Browser Dashboard as shown below.
Respondus LockDown Browser Dashboard
Enable iPad Access
- From the LockDown Browser Settings pane, click the radio button in front of "Require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam"--this will reveal additional options. ("Don't require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam" is the default setting.)
- Click anywhere on the "[+] Advanced Settings" heading to reveal even more settings options.
- Under the Advanced Settings heading, click the checkbox in front of "Allow students to take this exam with an iPad (using "LockDown Browser" app from iTunes.
- Click the Save and Close button to enable your settings.
Using the iPad Edition of Lockdown Browser
A student should follow these steps to take an exam with the iPad Edition of LockDown Browser:
- Download and install the "LockDown Browser" app from Apple iTunes to the iPad. (Requires iOS 7 or higher.)
- Enable iPad's "Guided Access" by selecting iPad > Settings > General > Accessibility > Guided Access. Turn on Guided Access and set a passcode (you need to remember this passcode to exit Guided Access after an exam). The Touch ID on new iPads can also be enabled to end the Guided Access. The setup for Guided Access only needs to be done once.
- Start the LockDown Browser app.
- The first time the app is used, you will be prompted to select your institution and server. (If you later need to change the institution or server, select the settings icon on the toolbar for the LockDown Browser app.)
- Triple-press the iPad home button to start Guided Access and enter LockDown Browser. If you are not prompted to enter your password, triple-press the iPad home button, enter your password and then on the Guided Access screen press "Resume" in the upper right.
- After completing the exam, triple-press the Home button and enter the passcode to exit Guided Access.
Press the Home button again to return to the Home page.