Enabling Respondus Monitor (webcam monitoring)
Respondus Lockdown Browser is a special browser that prevents students from copying and pasting text, taking screenshots, or opening other webpages or applications while taking an online test or survey in Blackboard. Additionally, instructors can also use Respondus Monitor to record audio and video of the test taker during the test, allowing instructors to confirm student identity and serve as a greater deterrent to cheating. Students must access tests using the Lockdown Browser, as students will be unable to access the test using a regular browser.
Note: If you are interested in using Respondus Monitor in your course, please contact UT Online for assistance and to discuss implementation arrangements.
Accessing Course Tools
Selecting a Test
Enabling Respondus Lockdown Browser
- Lockdown Browser Settings: Select "Require Respondus Lockdown Browser for this exam" to enable Lockdown Browser. The screen will expand to provide options for password settings. If you wish to not enter a password, press Save and Close at the bottom.
- Password Settings: If you wish to require a password to access the exam, enter the password in this space.
- Advanced Settings: Click this header to expand this section to show the following options:
- Lock students into the browser until exam is completed: Selecting this option will prevent students from closing the browser. Selecting this option will expand to show an additional option to enter a password to allow students to exit the exam early. With this item unselected, the default behavior is to require students to type a reason for exiting the exam
- Allow students to take this exam with an iPad: Select this option to allow students to take the exam on their iPads using the Lockdown Browser app.
- Allow specific students to access this exam with screen readers: This option allows selected students to use screen readers when taking the exam. Selecting this option will expand the section to show a text box where usernames can be entered, separated by commas.
- Monitor Webcam Settings: The screen will now expand to ask if you want to monitor the test using a webcam. To require the use of Respondus Monitor, select Require Respondus Monitor for this exam.
- When you are finished, Click Save and Close.
Setting up Webcam Monitor Settings
The screen will expand to include more options related to using Respondus Monitor. The first option is the Startup Sequence. The order of the sequence can be changed by dragging the items into the desired location. Text instructions for the Environment Check and Additional Instructions can be edited by clicking the Edit Text button next to the item. To enable or disable an item, check the box next to the item
- Webcam Check: The webcam check ensures that the student's microphone and webcam is working correctly
- Student Photo: The Student Photo takes a picture of the student, which is saved with the student's test session
- Show ID: Show ID requests that students present a Rocket Card or other identifying document to the camera.
- Environment Check: The Environment Check requires students to take a video of their environment.
- Additional Instructions: If you want to provide addtional details to students, click Edit Text next to Additional Information to enter additional instructions.
The following options are available by expanding the section labeled Advanced Settings:
- Check the first checkbox to allow another application to access the microphone during the exam.
- Check the second checkbox to make the video available for viewing on mobile devices.
- Enter your demo student username in the space provided to test the product as a student. This is not included in the institutional seat limit, nor is it subject to a charge.
- When you are finished, click Save and Close.