Downloading and Recording with Screencast-o-matic
This guide will demonstrate how to download Screencast-o-matic. Screencast-o-matic is a free program that allows users to record videos from your computer that are up to 15 minutes in length.
To get started with Screencast-o-matic go to www.screencast-o-matic.com and, click the blue Start Recording button.
Downloading the Recorder
Wait for the Get Recorder Launcher button to initialize, and once it is ready, click on the Get Recorder Launcher button to download the recorder. Then once the file is downloaded to your computer, open the file to start the installation process.
Initiating the Recorder
Go back to the open Screencast-o-matic website, and click the Try Again link underneath the Download Started button.
Launching the Application
Starting a Recording
- To open and close the recording preferences menu, click on the gear icon.
- Use the buttons at the top of the menu to select what to record: Screen, Webcam, or Both. When you select Webcam or Both, the software will then ask you which webcam you wish to use for recording, as well as how to position the webcam video.
- Size: Use this option to change the preset size of the recording area.
- Narration: Use this option to select which microphone to use when recording.
- Click and drag on the cross icon in the center to reposition the recording area as denoted by the white and black border.
- Use the handles on the sides and in the corners to resize the recording.
- Click the red Record button to start recording. A countdown will appear and the program will start recording.
Ending a Recording
To end the recording, click the blue Pause button at the bottom of the screen.
Previewing and Publishing a Recording
You will now be able to preview and publish the video:
- To preview the video, use the controls at the bottom to play the video.
- Save as Video File: Use this option to save the video file to your computer.
- Upload to Screencast-o-matic: Use this option to publish the video to Screencast-o-matic (you will need an account for Screencast-o-matic).
- Upload to YouTube: Use this option to publish the video to YouTube (you will need a Google account).
- Redo: Click the Redo button redo your video.
- Cancel: Click the Cancel button to delete your video.