Enabling Respondus Monitor (webcam monitoring)
Respondus Lockdown Browser is a special browser that prevents students from copying and pasting text, taking screenshots, or opening other webpages or applications while taking an online test or survey in Blackboard. Additionally, instructors can also use Respondus Monitor to record audio and video of the test taker during the test, allowing instructors to confirm student identity and serve as a greater deterrent to cheating. Students must access tests using the Lockdown Browser, as students will be unable to access the test using a regular browser.
Note: If you are interested in using Respondus Monitor in your course, please contact UT Online for assistance and to discuss implementation arrangements.
Accessing Course Tools
To enable Lockdown Browser for a test, log into your Blackboard course and go to the Control Panel. Click on Course Tools and select Respondus Lockdown Browser
Selecting a Test
You will now see a list of tests in your Blackboard Course. To enable Respondus Lockdown Browser, click on the button to the left of the test name you wish to enable the Lockdown Browser for (1), and choose Modify Settings (2)
Enabling Respondus Lockdown Browser
- Lockdown Browser Settings: Select "Require Respondus Lockdown Browser for this exam" to enable Lockdown Browser. The screen will expand to provide options for password settings. If you wish to not enter a password, press Save and Close at the bottom.
- Password Settings: If you wish to require a password to access the exam, enter the password in this space.
- Advanced Settings: Click this header to expand this section to show the following options:
- Lock students into the browser until exam is completed: Selecting this option will prevent students from closing the browser. Selecting this option will expand to show an additional option to enter a password to allow students to exit the exam early. With this item unselected, the default behavior is to require students to type a reason for exiting the exam
- Allow students to take this exam with an iPad: Select this option to allow students to take the exam on their iPads using the Lockdown Browser app.
- Allow access to specific external web domains: Use this option to allow students to open external website domains that have been approved by the instructor.
- Enable Calculator in the Toolbar: Select this option to enable an onscreen calculator
- Enable Printing in the Toolbar: Select this option to allow printing.
- Proctoring: The screen will now expand to ask if you want to monitor the test using a webcam. To require the use of Respondus Monitor, select Require Respondus Monitor for this exam.
- When you are finished, Click Save and Close.
Setting up Webcam Monitor Settings
The screen will expand to include more options related to using Respondus Monitor. The first option is the Startup Sequence. The order of the sequence can be changed by dragging the items into the desired location. Text instructions for the Environment Check and Additional Instructions can be edited by clicking the Edit Text button next to the item. To enable or disable an item, check the box next to the item
- Webcam Check: The webcam check ensures that the student's microphone and webcam is working correctly
- Additional Instructions: If you want to provide addtional details to students, click Edit Text next to Additional Information to enter additional instructions.
- Student Photo: The Student Photo takes a picture of the student, which is saved with the student's test session
- Show ID: Show ID requests that students present a Rocket Card or other identifying document to the camera.
- Environment Check: The Environment Check requires students to take a video of their environment.
- Facial Detection Check: The Facial Detection Check determines if the student's face is in the camera frame while taking the exam.
The following options are available under Facial Detection Options
- Prevent student from starting the exam if the student's face cannot be detected. Enabling this option will prevent the exam from being started if the student's face cannot be identified.
- The second option will notify students if their face cannot be detected at any point during the exam. If you allow students to use external resources (e.g. a text book or formula sheet) it may be helpful to disable this feature.
The following options are available by expanding the section labeled Advanced Settings:
- Check the first checkbox to allow a exam to be taken without monitoring in a proctored computer lab.
- Check the second checkbox to allow a secondary program to have access to the microphone.
When you are finished, click Save and Close.