Viewing Course Analytics
This guide will demonstrate how to view course analytics, view student performance, change engagement settings, and export student engagement data.
Accessing your Course List
To access your course list:
- Click on the Courses link on the left of the screen.
- Select the course from the list you wish to work with.
Accessing Course Analytics
To access analytics for your course, click the Analytics link at the top of the page.
Viewing Class Analytics
The Classes tab shows an overall summary of course performance.
- To access course analytics, click on Classes on the left.
- The graph will display engagement levels for all classes.
- Lesson details: The list below the graph will display the engagement statistics for each lesson.
- Click the Export button to export the analytics data to a .csv file for offline viewing.
Viewing Student Performance
The Students tab shows how individual students are performing in the current course.
- To view student performance, click on the Students link on the left.
- To select a specific class to view, use the dropdown menu to select a class.
- Student engagement information will be shown here. The engagement score is calculated based on students' performance on a possibility of six different measures that can be customized by the instructor (see Engagement Settings for more details, on how to edit how this value is calculated, or click the Metric Definitions for more information).
- Click the Export button to export the information to a .csv file for offline viewing.
Modifying Engagement Settings
The Engagement Settings tab allows instructors to determine how these parameters are used to calculate the Engagement Score. There are different settings that can be used, along with variable weighting for each parameter that is based on how active or engaged students are in the course. The data on these parameters are used to calculate a single value, which is called the Engagement Score.
- To modify how engagement scores are calculated, click the Weighting link on the left.
- Customize: Use the sliders to specify custom weighting for each component of the engagement score: Attendance, Video Views, Presentation Views, Q&A, Notes, and Activities.
- Presets: Instructors can choose between three preset engagement scored distributions: In class learning, Remote learning, and Personal and Peer Learning.
- To save engagement score settings, click the Apply button at the top.
- Click Reset to restore the default values.
Viewing Least Engaged Students and Confusing Content
To see which students are least engaged and to view content flagged as confusing:
- Click the Engagement link on the left.
- Use the dropdown menu to view a specific class.
- Least Engaged Students: A list of least engaged students will appear here. Click See All to see all low-engaged students.
- Confusing Content: Content segments flagged as confusing to students will appear here.
The Export tab allows users to export data as a .csv (comma-separated values) file or to Blackboard.
- To export data, click on the Export tab on the left.
- To download data as a .csv file, select the type of data set you wish to export and then click Start Export Job..
- To export data to Blackboard, locate the link and classroom name you wish to export, (4) select which metric to export, (5) and hover to the right and click the blue arrow that appears to export to Blackboard.
Exporting Data, Part 2
You will be presented with a dialog box asking you to confirm to overwrite any existing data. Click OK to proceed. You will then be presented with a message that the data has been exported to the gradebook.