Editing Videos Online
This guide explains how to edit videos created online. Only cuts or segment insertions to the video can be made in Echo. If you wish to make other edits, it is recommended to download the video and use a video editing program to make the desired edits.
Known issue with video editing: When applying many small cuts (20 or more) to a video, the audio/video can become out of sync, sometimes by as much as a half a second. Echo360 is currently looking into this issue.
From the content library, hover over the video you wish to edit, click the button in the bottom right hand corner of the video thumbnail, and choose Edit Media from the menu that appears.
Above is an image of the video editor.
- In the middle is the video content captured from the webcam and application.
- Below the video is the filmstrip timeline editor which allows you to select sections to make cuts from the video. In the timeline, sections that have been cut out are grey, while existing sections show stills of the video.
- Dragging the blue cursor along the timeline allows you to scrub through the video to locate your cutpoints, as well as shows your current position in the video playback.
To make a cut from the beginning or end of the video, or from the beginning or end of a segment, you can either drag the pink end frame pieces to the desired start or end point, or you can use the blue editing cursor and click on either the video start (1) or video end (2) symbols to snap the pink end frame pieces to the desired point. The video will be grayed out in the timeline where the start or end point has been changed (3).
To make a cut from the middle of the video:
- Using the blue cursor only (not the pink frame), click on the filmstrip editor where you want to make the start of the cut.
- Click the menu button in the blue cursor and then click Split Clip to make the cut. The pink frame will show the cut start but will not gray out the beginning of the video like in the previous method of editing the beginning or end of a video.
- Drag the blue cursor on the filmstrip editor where you want the cut to end. Click the Split Clip option again. The pink frame will show the cut end but will not gray out the remainder of the video like in the previous step of editing the beginning or end of a video.
- Click the trash can button to delete the segment between the two cuts. It will turn gray once deleted.
- If you make mistakes in any step, you can click the undo (5) and/or redo (6) button as you continue to edit.
To publish the video with the edits, click the Save button at the top of the screen. To save the edited video as a new video, click the Actions button and then Save As. If you wish to remove all edits in progress and return to the original video, click the Actions button and then the Restore to Original option. If you want to remove any unsaved changes, click the Actions button and choose Clear Unsaved Changes.