Creating Self-Enrolled Group Sets
This lesson will demonstrate how to set up multiple groups within Blackboard. To set up a single group, refer to the instructions on how to set up a single self-enrolled or manual-enrolled group. There are three enrollment methods for group sets.
- Self-Enroll (Students select which group they wish to enroll in)
- Manual Enroll (Instructor assigns students to groups)
- Random Enroll (Students are randomly placed into groups by Blackboard)
This lesson will demonstrate how to create self-enrolled group sets, where students can enroll themselves into a group.
Accessing the Groups Tool
Log into Blackboard and go to the Control Panel.
- Click on Users and Groups.
- Then click on Groups.
Creating Self Enrollment Group Sets
You will now see a screen labeled Groups that lists all the groups created within the course.
The Self Enroll feature allows students to select the groups they want to enroll in. To create a group set with student-selected enrollments, click on the Create button and select Self Enroll from the menu in the Group Set column.
Setting up Group Information
You will now see a screen labeled Create Self-Enrollment Group Set: The section labeled Group Information allows instructors to enter a name and information for the group set.
- Name: Enter a name for the group set in the name field. Note: Blackboard will append a number for each group created in the group set.
- Description: Enter a description for the group set.
- Group is visible to students: To allow students to access the group, set the availability to Yes. To prevent student access, select No. To allow students access to the signup sheet only, select Sign-up Sheet Only.
Setting up Group Tool Availability and Settings
Tool Availability allows you to enable and disable individual tools for student use within the groups. To enable a tool, check the checkbox next to the tool name. To disable a tool, uncheck the checkbox next to the tool name.
- Blogs: Check the checkbox here to enable the Blogs tool. Additionally, grading options can be enabled by selecting Grade.
- Discussion Board: Check this checkbox to enable the group discussion board. Additionally, instructors can choose to permit students to create their own forums in the group, or instructors can choose to prevent students from creating their own forums.
- Email: Check this checkbox to allow students to send emails to each other within the group.
- File Exchange: Check this box to allow students to share files with each other within the group.
- Journals: Check this box to enable the Journal tool within the group. Additionally, grading options can be enabled by selecting Grade.
- Tasks: Check this box to allow students to create tasks for group members.
- Blackboard Collaborate Ultra: Check this box to enable students to use Blackboard Collaborate Ultra for realtime collaboration within their group. Additionally, instructors can choose whether or not to permit students to create and access session recordings.
- Content Market Tools: Check this box to enable tools provided by an external tool provider.
- Wikis: Check this box to enable the Wiki tool in the group environment. Additionally, grading options can be enabled by selecting Grade.
Setting up Module Personalization Settings
Module Personalization Settings allows instructors to permit students to personalize the appearance of the group home page. To allow students to personalize the group home page, check the box labeled Allow Personalization.
Setting up the Group Sign-Up options
Sign-up options allows instructors to customize the sign-up sheet for students.
- Name of Sign-up Sheet: Enter a name for the sign-up sheet here.
- Sign-up Sheet Instructions: Enter a description for the sign-up sheet
- Maximum Number of Members: Specify the maximum number of members for each group.
- Show Members: Check the box next to Show Members to allow students to see the list of students who have already signed up for the group.
- Allow Students to sign-up from the Groups listing page: Check this option to allow students to sign up from the Groups link in the course. If this option is unchecked, the instructor must create a link to the group sign-up sheet in order for students to access the signup sheet.
Modifying the Group Set Options
Group Set Options allows instructors to specify the number of groups to create, as well as the option to create a smart view for each group.
- Number of Groups: Enter the number of groups you wish to create here.
- Create smart view for each group in set: Check this option to create a smart view in the grade center that allows instructors to view the group members within the Grade Center.
- When finished, click the Submit button at the bottom of the page to create the self-enrollment group set.