Adding Users to your Blackboard Learn Course
In Blackboard 9.1, instructors have the ability to add other users to their class, such as guest students, teaching assistants, co-instructors, or any other type of non-student user. Any user with a UTAD username and a Blackboard account can be added to the course.
DISCLAIMER: Adding students to your Blackboard Learn course manually does not officially register the student for the course. Unless the student is properly registered for the course in the student registration system, they will not receive credit for the course. If you add a student in this way, you should be sure to verify the registration in the student registration system or contact the Registrar to prevent unforeseen consequences for the student. Students will automatically be added to Blackboard within two business days of officially registering for the course.
Open the Control Panel
Log into your Blackboard course and go to the Control Panel.
- Click on Users and Groups.
- Select Users.
Finding Users to Enroll
You will now see a list of users in the current course. Go to the top of the page and click the button labeled Find Users to Enroll.
Enrolling Users, Part 1
You will now see a screen similar to the one above labeled Add Enrollments.
- Username: If you know the UTAD username of the person you would like to add, enter their UTAD in the space marked Username (Skip to Step 3, Role)
- If you do not know the UTAD username, click Browse to search for the user.
- Role: Select the role of the user. (Student, instructor, Teaching Assistant, Course Builder, Grader)
- Enrollment Availability: Set availability to Yes to allow access to the course.
- When finished, click the Submit button at the bottom of the page.
Searching for Users
You will now see a screen similar to the one above after clicking Browse:
- Search: Set the search parameters for your search: (Username, Last Name, First Name, email); (Contains, Equal To, Starts With, Not Blank)
- Insert search term (e.g. last name) and click Go.
- The search results will appear at the bottom of the screen. Check the box next to the user from the list you wish to add.
- Click the Submit button when finished.
Explanation of User Roles
- SDS Course Builder: This role is used by Student Disability Services to provide accessible content
- Student: This is the default role for all users enrolled in the course.
- Instructor: This role provides full access to course building, course management, and grading
- Teaching Assistant: This role provides limited course building and grading access.
- Grader: This role provides access to the Grade Center only.
- Course Builder: This role provides access to create and modify course content, but does not allow access to student grades.
- Guest: This role provides access to individual content areas in the course.
The "Guest" role provides limited access to the course. If you want an individual to have "read" access to the course, assign the "Student" role to that individual.