Navigating your Blackboard Course
Your Blackboard course provides a central location for uploading course content, communicating with students, and assessing student progress. This guide will demonstrate how to navigate the course news page, the course menu, and the control panel.
Navigating the Course News Page
The first page that users usually encounter when logging into Blackboard is the Course News page. This page displays information about new course content, announcements and due dates. The following modules will appear in your course by default:
- My Announcements: This module displays the most recent course announcements.
- What's New: This module displays recent activity such as new discussion board posts, new content uploaded, etc.
- To Do: This module shows students upcoming and missed due dates. Note: The due dates do not show to instructors.
The modules on this page can be customized by the instructor or students, if the instructor enables this feature
Navigating the Course Menu
On the upper left side of the screen is the course menu. Students will use the course menu to access their course content, communication tools, and assessment tools within the course. The default course menu has the following links:
- Start Here: This is a blank area in which you can place your course orientation materials to help your students get started with this course.
- Course News: The area contains three basic modules (Announcements, To Do, and What’s New) that give information to users based on their enrollment and their role in the system. Students can navigate to individual items to take action.
- Learner Support: This area contains critical information about technology support, the Office of Academic Access, eLibrary services, eTutoring services, as well as a browser requirements check and Blackboard video tutorials.
- Instructor Support: This area is only visible to instructors and it contains a list of tutorials on how to use Blackboard tools and other resources such as templates and quality matters standards.
- LibGuides: This link contains research assistance, subject guides, and useful resources compiled by University of Toledo Librarians.
- My Grades: This link allows students to view grades within their course. Grades entered by the instructor in Blackboard’s Grade Center are visible to the student here
Additionally, some symbols may show next to certain links: A gray square indicates the link has no content, whereas a square with a slash indicates the link is hidden from students.
Navigating the Control Panel
Below the course menu is the Control Panel. The Control Panel provides access to the following items:
- Content Collection: This link provides access to all the course files.
- Course Tools: This link provides instructor access to course tools: Note: Students need to be provided with a link in the course menu in order to access communication tools within the course.
- Evaluation: This link provides access to course reports, user activity summaries, and the Retention Center.
- Grade Center: This link allows instructors to view, assign, and manage students' grades.
- Users and Groups: This link allows instructors to manage course users and groups.
- Customization: This link allows instructors to change the course appearance and overall availability.
- Packages and Utilities: This link allows instructors to access course archive and copy functions.
- Help: This link provides access to additional help resources in Blackboard.