Creating a Fill in Multiple Blanks Question
This guide will demonstrate how to create a Fill in Multiple Blanks Question. Instructors can create up to 100 separate answer fields for students.
Selecting a Question Type
With the Test Canvas open, Click on Create Question and select Calculated Formula from the menu.
Entering the Question Information
- Question Title: Enter a title for the question (optional)
- Question Text: Enter your question text here. Identify answer fields (variables) with characters encased in square brackets e.g. [x]
- Allow Partial Credit: Select this option to give credit for partially correct items.
- Click Next to continue to the next step.
Entering Answer Information
You will now see your question stem and spaces to provide answers for each variable field
- Number of Answers: To accept multiple responses, select the number of answers you wish to accept as correct.
- Answer Grading: Select whether to give credit for exact matches, answers containing the provided text and pattern matches.
- Enter the desired answer in the space provided. If you selected multiple answers, the will be a blank for each answer.
- Case Sensitive: Check this box to require students to match the typed case: E.g. if "Saturday" is the answer, no credit is awarded for "saturday"
- Back: Click this button to return to the previous page.
- Cancel: Click this button to discard the question.
- Next: Click this button to proceed to the next step.
Entering Feedback and Category Information
- Correct Response Feedback: Enter feedback to be shown to students when students respond correctly.
- Incorrect Response Feedback: Enter feedback to be shown to students when students respond incorrectly.
- Categories and Keywords: Click the Add button to add tags for Categories, Topics, Levels of Difficulty, and Keywords.
- Instructor Notes: Enter any notes in this field here. Only instructors can view information entered here.
- Go Back: Click this button to go back to the previous screen.
- Cancel: Click Cancel to discard the question
- Submit and Create Another: Click this button to save the question and create another question of the same type.
- Submit: Click this button to save the question and return to the test canvas.
The question you created will now appear on the test canvas. Click the Points value to change the number of points.