Copying a Course
These instructions will guide you through the process of copying Blackboard course content from one course site to another. For example, you might want to copy your course content from a course site you used last semester into a new course site you're going to use this semester.
If you have links to Echo360 content in your course, you will need to contact UToledo Online Support to have the your Echo360 section cloned. Once the section is cloned, you would need to relink all Echo360 content.
Step 1 - Enter the course you want to copy.
Login to Blackboard and from your list of available courses, select the course you want to copy.
Step 2 - Choose "Course Copy"
From the Control Panel, click on Packages and Utilities and then choose Course Copy from the drop-down menu.
Step 3 - Select the desired "Copy Options" from the Copy Course screen
You should now see the Copy Course screen.
Step 3.1 - First select the Destination Course ID
To selecte the "Destination Course ID," click the "Browse. . ." button.
Step 3.2 - Select the Destination Course from the list of available courses
Click the "radio button" in front of the desired destination course and then click the "Submit" button.
Step 3.3 -The ID of the destination course should now appear in the "Destination Course ID" box.
Now that you've selected the Destination Course, you are ready to select the various copy options.
Step 3.4 - Select the Copy Options
First click the Select All button and then uncheck the following options:
- Instructor Support
- Check Grade Center Columns and Settings in order to copy over assignments and deployed tests.
- Under Settings, it is not recommended to check the checkboxes for Availability, Course Guest Access, Course Observer Access, or Duration, as these options will override the availability settings in the destination course.
In order to copy items associated with a grade column, the option labeled Grade Center Columns and Settings must be selected. Otherwise, items such as tests and assignments will not be copied over to the content areas the items resided in.
Step 4 - Select File Attachments
The File Attachments section determines how course files are handled when the course is copied to the destination course site:
- Copy links to Course Files: Selecting this option will link content in the destination course to files located in the originating course. (This option is not recommended as users may not be able to access course content.)
- Copy links and copies of the content: This option is the default and recommended option for most course copies. This option will copy files for items that are linked in course content areas.
- Copy links and copies of the content (include entire course home folder): This option will copy all files saved in the course Content Collection. This option is recommended only if you have content linked or embedded in HTML files. Upon selecting this option, users can calculate the size of the course copy package, or users can click the Manage Package Contents button to remove files from the course copy package.
Step 5 - Do not select the option to "Include Enrollments in the Copy."
If you select the option to "Include Enrollments in the Copy" you will add all students from the course site you're coping from to the new course site--this is not suggested.
Step 6 - Click the "Submit" button to Queue Your Course to be Copied
Once you click the "Submit" button, your course will be added to a queue to be copied.
You should receive a green message bar informing you that the process has been completed
The process can take anywhere from several minutes to an hour or more during busy times. Once the process is complete, you will receive an email message notifying you.
Step 7 - Please check your new course site carefully once the copy process is complete.
Once you have received notification that the course copy process is complete, please look over the new course site carefully and let us know if there are any problems. Prior to releasing the course to students, it is recommended to perform the following steps:
- Use the date management tool to review and update item availability and due dates.
- Check the discussion board and delete any unwanted posts.
- Review all grade center columns and remove any duplicate or unused columns.
- Check all external links to ensure the links are still functional.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call the UT Online Help Desk at 419-530-8835 or email email@example.com.