Copying a Course
These instructions will guide you through the process of copying Blackboard course content from one course site to another. For example, you might want to copy your course content from a course site you used last semester into a new course site you're going to use this semester.
Step 1 - Enter the course you want to copy.
Login to Blackboard and from your list of available courses, select the course you want to copy.
Step 2 - Choose "Course Copy"
Step 3 - Select the desired "Copy Options" from the Copy Course screen
You should now see the Copy Course screen.
Step 3.1 - First select the Destination Course ID
To selecte the "Destination Course ID," click the "Browse. . ." button.
Step 3.2 - Select the Destination Course from the list of available courses
Click the "radio button" in front of the desired destination course and then click the "Submit" button.
Step 3.3 -The ID of the destination course should now appear in the "Destination Course ID" box.
Step 3.4 - Select the Copy Options
First click the Select All button and then uncheck the following options:
- Instructor Support
- Under Settings, it is not recommended to check the checkboxes for Availability, Course Guest Access, Course Observer Access, or Duration, as these options will override the availability settings in the destination course.
Note: In order to copy items associated with a grade column, the option labeled Grade Center Columns and Settings must be selected. Otherwise, items such as tests and assignments will not be copied over to the content areas the items resided in.
Step 4 - Select File Attachments
The File Attachments section determines how course files are handled when the course is copied to the destination course site:
- Copy links to Course Files: Selecting this option will link content in the destination course to files located in the originating course. (This option is not recommended as users may not be able to access course content.)
- Copy links and copies of the content: This option is the default and recommended option for most course copies. This option will copy files for items that are linked in course content areas.
- Copy links and copies of the content (include entire course home folder): This option will copy all files saved in the course Content Collection. This option is recommended only if you have content linked or embedded in HTML files. Upon selecting this option, users can calculate the size of the course copy package, or users can click the Manage Package Contents button to remove files from the course copy package.
Step 5 - Do not select the option to "Include Enrollments in the Copy."
Step 6 - Click the "Submit" button to Queue Your Course to be Copied
You should receive a green message bar informing you that the process has been completed
Step 7 - Please check your new course site carefully once the copy process is complete.
Once you have received notification that the course copy process is complete, please look over the new course site carefully and let us know if there are any problems. Prior to releasing the course to students, it is recommended to perform the following steps:
- Use the date management tool to review and update item availability and due dates.
- Check the discussion board and delete any unwanted posts.
- Review all grade center columns and remove any duplicate or unused columns.
- Check all external links to ensure the links are still functional.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call the UT Online Help Desk at 419-530-8835 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.