Creating an Opinion Scale/Likert Question
This guide will demonstrate how to create an Opinion Scale question in Blackboard. An Opinion Scale question is a multiple choice question with pre-generated response choices, and is useful for creating surveys or for providing feedback in tests.
Selecting a Question Type
With the Test Canvas open, Click on Create Question and select Opinion Scale/Likert from the menu.
Entering the Question Text
To create an Opinion Scale question:
- Question Title: Enter a title for the question (optional)
- Question Text: Enter the question text here.
- Answer numbering: Choose from the following options for displaying answer numbering: None, Arabic Numerals (1, 2, 3...), Roman Numerals (I, II, III...) Lowercase letters (a, b, c...), Uppercase letters (A, B, C...)
- Answer Orientation: Choose whether to display answers horizontally or vertically.
- Allow Partial Credit: Check this option to allow partial credit for partially correct answers
- Show Answers in Random Order: Check this option to present answers in a random order between different attempts.
Entering the Answer Information
In an Opinion Scale question, the answer choices are pre-populated; but can be changed or edited.
- Number of Answers: Select the total number of answer choices you wish to display to students, up to a maximum of 100 answer choices
- Update Partial Credit %: Click this button to update the partial credit percentage after changing partial credit values or the number of correct answers.
- Answer Text: Enter the answer text for each answer choice in the individual text boxes provided.
- Correct Answer: Check the checkboxes to the left of the answer boxes to mark which answers to count as correct.
- Partial Credit %: Enter the desired partial credit value for each answer choice: Partial credit values must add up to 100%
- To remove an answer choice, click the Remove button.
Setting Up Feedback and Category Information
- Correct Response Feedback: Enter feedback to be shown to students when students respond correctly.
- Incorrect Response Feedback: Enter feedback to be shown to students when students respond incorrectly.
- Categories and Keywords: Click the Add button to add tags for Categories, Topics, Levels of Difficulty, and Keywords.
- Instructor Notes: Enter any notes in this field here. Only instructors can view information entered here.
- Cancel: Click Cancel to discard the question
- Submit and Create Another: Click this button to save the question and create another question of the same type.
- Submit: Click this button to save the question and return to the test canvas
The question you created will now appear on the test canvas. Click the Points value to change the number of points.