Creating a New Journal
This lesson will demonstrate how to create a new course blog.
Accessing the Journal Link
To access the Blog tool, click on the Journals link in the course menu
Creating a Journal
You will now see a screen labeled Journals. To create a journal, click on the Create Journal button at the top of the screen.
Setting up the Journal Information
You will now see a screen labeled Create Journal. The section labeled Journal Information allows instructors to edit the journal name and instructions.
- Name: Type in a name for the Journal here.
- Instructions: In the text editor, type a description and instructions for your students for the journal assignment.
Setting up the Journal Availability
Journal Availability allows instructors to make the journal visible to students. Select Yes to permit students to view the journal.
Setting up the Journal Time and Date Restrictions
Journal Date and Time Restrictions allows instructors to limit the availability of the journal to a specific time period. To restrict the journal availability, use the date and time selectors to select a Display After and Display Until date.
Setting up the Journal Settings
Journal Settings allows instructors to modify the indexing of blog entries and modify user permissions for editing and deleting content:
- Index Entries: This option allows users to change how the entries are organized. Select Monthly to organize journal entries on a monthly basis or select Weekly to organize journals on a weekly basis.
- Allow Users To Edit and Delete Entries: Check the checkbox for this option to allow students to edit and delete their journal entries. It is recommended to disable this option.
- Allow Users To Delete Comments: Check the checkbox for this option to allow students to delete their posted comments. It is recommended to disable this option.
- Permit Course Users to View Journal: Check this option to allow students to view their peers' journals. To keep journals private between the student and instructor, uncheck this option.
Setting up the Journal Grading Settings
Grade Settings allows you to enable grading options for the journal. Enabling Grading Options allows instructors to grade students within Blackboard and this option creates a Grade Center Column that corresponds with the journal.
- Grade Journal: No grading: Select this option to create an ungraded journal.
- Grade Journal: Grade: Points Possible: To grade the journal, select this option and enter the number of points possible. Selecting this option will expand the section below:
- Show participants in "Needs Grading" status (!) after every N entries: Check this option to report students' participation as Needs Grading in the Grade Center after the student has posted a specified number of times.
- Due Date: To enable a due date, use the time and date selectors to select a due date. The due date will then appear in the student's calendar and To Do modules, and items submitted past this date will be marked as Late.
- Associated Rubrics: Click on the Add Rubric button to add a rubric to use for grading the journal assignment.
- When finished, click the Submit button at the bottom of the page to create the journal.