Creating a Calculated Formula Question
This guide will demonstrate how to create a calculated formula question in Blackboard. A Calculated Formula question allows instructors to create questions with varying numerical values based on an instructor-determined formula.
Selecting a Question Type
With the Test Canvas open, Click on Create Question and select Calculated Formula from the menu.
Entering Question Text and Answer Formula
To create a Calculated Formula Question:
- Question Title: Enter a title for the question (optional)
- Question Text: Enter your question text here. Use letters in brackets to denote variables, e.g. [a] pounds of rice at [b] price. Note: "pi" and "e" are reserved and cannot be used as variables.
- Answer Formula: Use the equation editor at top to develop your answer formula.
- Answer Range: Specify a range of permitted values for the answer.
- Allow Partial Credit: Allow partial credit for a specified partial credit range.
- Units Required: Check this box to require learners to provide a unit value.
- When finished, click Next to continue.
Defining Variables and Answer Sets
The next step is define your variables and answer sets:
Defining Variables: (Variables can be expressed in either normal or exponential notation)
- Variable Name: A list of variable names will appear here.
- Minimum Value: Specify the minimum value for each variable here:
- Maximum Value: Specify the maximum value for each variable here:
- Decimal Places: Specify the number of decimal places to display for each variable.
Answer Set Options:
- Calculate answers to: Specify the number of decimal places or significant digits to calculate the answer to.
- Number of answer sets: Specify the possible number of answer sets to generate to students.
- Correct answer format: Specify whether to express the answer in standard or exponential notation.
- Go back: Click this button to return to the previous screen. Note: Changes on this page will not be saved.
- Cancel: Click this button to discard the question and return to the test canvas. Note: Changes to the question will not be saved.
- Calculate: Click this button to calculate values for new answer sets.
- Next: Click this button to proceed to the next step.
Editing Answer Sets
Edit answer sets: You will now be able to view the system generated answer sets.
- You can change any of the variable values by inputing new values
- To remove an answer set, click the Remove button.
- If you have change the variable values, click the Calculate button to calculate new answer values.
Editing Feedback, Categories and Notes
- Correct Response Feedback: Enter feedback to be shown to students when students respond correctly.
- Incorrect Response Feedback: Enter feedback to be shown to students when students respond incorrectly.
- Categories and Keywords: Click the Add button to add tags for Categories, Topics, Levels of Difficulty, and Keywords.
- Instructor Notes: Enter any notes in this field here. Only instructors can view information entered here.
- Go Back: Click this button to go back to the previous screen.
- Cancel: Click Cancel to discard the question
- Submit and Create Another: Click this button to save the question and create another question of the same type.
- Submit: Click this button to save the question and return to the test canvas.