Creating a Fill in Multiple Blanks Question
This guide will demonstrate how to create a Fill in Multiple Blanks Question. Instructors can create up to 100 separate answer fields for students.
Selecting a Question Type
With the Test Canvas open, Click on Create Question and select Calculated Formula from the menu.
Entering the Question Information
- Question Title: Enter a title for the question (optional)
- Question Text: Enter your question text here. Identify answer fields (variables) with characters encased in square brackets e.g. [x]
- Allow Partial Credit: Select this option to give credit for partially correct items.
- Click Next to continue to the next step.
Entering Answer Information
You will now see your question stem and spaces to provide answers for each variable field
- Number of Answers: To accept multiple responses, select the number of answers you wish to accept as correct.
- Answer Grading: Select whether to give credit for exact matches, answers containing the provided text and pattern matches.
- Enter the desired answer in the space provided. If you selected multiple answers, the will be a blank for each answer.
- Case Sensitive: Check this box to require students to match the typed case: E.g. if "Saturday" is the answer, no credit is awarded for "saturday"
- Back: Click this button to return to the previous page.
- Cancel: Click this button to discard the question.
- Next: Click this button to proceed to the next step.
Entering Feedback and Category Information
- Correct Response Feedback: Enter feedback to be shown to students when students respond correctly.
- Incorrect Response Feedback: Enter feedback to be shown to students when students respond incorrectly.
- Categories and Keywords: Click the Add button to add tags for Categories, Topics, Levels of Difficulty, and Keywords.
- Instructor Notes: Enter any notes in this field here. Only instructors can view information entered here.
- Go Back: Click this button to go back to the previous screen.
- Cancel: Click Cancel to discard the question
- Submit and Create Another: Click this button to save the question and create another question of the same type.
- Submit: Click this button to save the question and return to the test canvas.