Creating an Opinion Scale/Likert Question
This guide will demonstrate how to create an Opinion Scale question in Blackboard. An Opinion Scale question is a multiple choice question with pre-generated response choices, and is useful for creating surveys or for providing feedback in tests.
Selecting a Question Type
With the Test Canvas open, Click on Create Question and select Opinion Scale/Likert from the menu.
Entering the Question Text
To create an Opinion Scale question:
- Question Title: Enter a title for the question (optional)
- Question Text: Enter the question text here.
- Answer numbering: Choose from the following options for displaying answer numbering: None, Arabic Numerals (1, 2, 3...), Roman Numerals (I, II, III...) Lowercase letters (a, b, c...), Uppercase letters (A, B, C...)
- Answer Orientation: Choose whether to display answers horizontally or vertically.
- Allow Partial Credit: Check this option to allow partial credit for partially correct answers
- Show Answers in Random Order: Check this option to present answers in a random order between different attempts.
Entering the Answer Information
In an Opinion Scale question, the answer choices are pre-populated; but can be changed or edited.
- Number of Answers: Select the total number of answer choices you wish to display to students, up to a maximum of 100 answer choices
- Answer Text: Enter the answer text for each answer choice in the individual text boxes provided.
- Correct Answer: Check the checkboxes to the left of the answer boxes to mark which answers to count as correct.
- Partial Credit %: Enter the desired partial credit value for each answer choice: Partial credit values must add up to 100%
- To remove an answer choice, click the Remove button.
Setting Up Feedback and Category Information
- Correct Response Feedback: Enter feedback to be shown to students when students respond correctly.
- Incorrect Response Feedback: Enter feedback to be shown to students when students respond incorrectly.
- Categories and Keywords: Click the Add button to add tags for Categories, Topics, Levels of Difficulty, and Keywords.
- Instructor Notes: Enter any notes in this field here. Only instructors can view information entered here.
- Cancel: Click Cancel to discard the question
- Submit and Create Another: Click this button to save the question and create another question of the same type.
- Submit: Click this button to save the question and return to the test canvas