Importing Content to a Blackboard Organization
If instructors wish to reuse copy from a course and copy it into an organization, they would need to create an export package of the course and import the package into the organization, as a course cannot be directly copied into an organization.
Accessing Packages and Utilities
Under the Course Management section of the course menu, click on Packages and Utilities and select Export/Archive Course from the menu.
Creating an Export Package File
You will now see a page labeled Export/Archive Course. On this page, select the Export Package link at the top of the page.
Selecting Export Package Contents
You will now see a screen similar to the one above, which will ask you which icons you wish to include in your export package.:
- Click the radio button next to Copy links and include copies of the files in the course default directory.
- Click the radio button next to Copy links and include copies of the files outside of the course default directory.
- Select Course Materials: Use the checkboxes to select which materials you wish to include in the archive package. Click Select All to select all the checkboxes.
- When fiurnished, click Submit to process your export package. You will then seen a purple banner stating that the action has been queued, and an email will be sent to you when the package is ready.
Accessing and Downloading Export Packages
To access course archive and export files, go back to the Export/Archive Course link under Packages and Utilities. On this page, you will see a list of available export and archive file packages. To download a package, click on the package file and save it to your computer.
Accessing Packages and Utilities
To import content to your Organization, go to the Organization Management menu:
- Click on Packages and Utilities
- Select Import Package/View Logs
Importing a Course Export Package
You will now see a page labeled Import Package/View Logs. On this page, click the Import Package link at the top of the page.
Selecting the Import Package File
You should now see the Import Package screen where you can select the Package to import as well as specify which component materials you wish to import. In Select a Package, click the Browse My Computer button in order to select the Archive Package that you wish to import. You can now select the Archive Package from using your computers file system and then click Select or Open. You will then return to the Import Package screen, and the Archive Package file name should appear next to Selected File as shown below.
If you chose the wrong file, simple click the Do not attach button to remove the file name. Otherwise, continue to select the particular Course Materials that you wish to import.
Selecting Course Materials
- In Select Course Materials, check the boxes next to the items that you want to import from the archive package. (Do not select attendance. This will create multiple attendance columns)
- At the bottom of the page, click the Submit button once you are satisfied with your selection of Course Materials to Import.
The exact settings that you choose, will depend on whether you are trying to restore an entire course or just some particular components.
Note: In order to copy items associated with a grade column, the option labeled Grade Center Columns and Settings must be selected. Otherwise, items such as tests and assignments will not be copied over to the content areas the items resided in.
You will receive a confirmation that the action has been queued. You will receive an email once the import process is complet
Once you have received notification that the course copy process is complete, please look over the new course site carefully and let us know if there are any problems. Prior to releasing the course to students, it is recommended to perform the following steps:
- Use the date management tool to review and update item availability and due dates.
- Check the discussion board and delete any unwanted posts.
- Review all grade center columns and remove any duplicate or unused columns.
- Check all external links to ensure the links are still functional.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call the UT Online Help Desk at 419-530-8835 or email [email protected]